Scott's Old Ph.D. Research Stuff
I'm currently an independent software engineer working on projects of
my own devising (and am not seeking employment). Here's some researchy
machine learning stuff I worked on during my Ph.D. at CMU, though.
- Fast Factored Density Estimation and Compression with Bayesian Networks, by Scott Davies. Ph.D. thesis, 2002. (Tech report CMU-CS-02-138.) PDF gzip'd PostScript
- Interpolating Conditional Density Trees, by Scott Davies and Andrew Moore. In UAI 2002. (Condensed version; see thesis above for details.) PDF PostScript
- Mix-nets: Factored Mixtures of Gaussians in Bayesian Networks with Mixed Continuous and Discrete Variables, by Scott Davies and Andrew Moore.
- Statistical Machine Learning for Large-Scale Optimization. Contributing author; editors J. A. Boyan, W. L. Buntine, and A. Jagota. In Neural Computing Surveys 3, 2000. PDF gzip'd PostScript
- Bayesian Networks for Lossless Dataset Compression, by Scott Davies
and Andrew Moore. In KDD-99. PDF PostScript
- Applying Online Search Techniques
to Continuous-State Reinforcement Learning, by Scott Davies, Andrew Ng, and Andrew Moore. In Proceedings of the Fifteenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-98), 1998. PDF gzip'd PostScript PostScript
- Fast Probabilistic Modeling for Combinatorial Optimization, by
Shumeet Baluja and Scott Davies. In Proceedings of the Fifteenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-98), 1998. PDF gzip'd PostScript PostScript
- Pool-Wise Crossover in Genetic Algorithms: An Information-Theoretic Perspective, by Shumeet Baluja and Scott Davies. In Proceedings of FOGA-98, 1998. PostScript
- Using Optimal
Dependency-Trees for Combinatorial Optimization: Learning the Structure of the
Search Space, by Shumeet Baluja and Scott Davies. In
Proceedings of the 1997 International Conference on Machine Learning, 1997.
Triangulation and Interpolation for Reinforcement Learning, by Scott Davies.
In Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 9, 1996.
- NP-completeness of searches for smallest possible
feature sets, by Scott Davies and
In Proceedings of the AAAI Fall Symposium on Relevance
(New Orleans, 1994). PDF PostScript
Here's a link back to Scott Davies's home page.